Saturday, June 12, 2010

Inspirations I: People


Takashi Murakami
Words cannot explain the inspirational impact this man has had on me. My style of drawing is very clean cut and simple. I'm in an art rut that falls somewhere between graphic design and fine art. The work of Murakami pushes my 2D work to the level of what could possibly be the a new styling of pop art.

 Andy Warhol
Andy Warhol has always been an ultimate inspiration. From the moment I've seen his work when I was 10, I knew that was who I wanted to emulate. Art is not always landscapes or portraits. Warhol was my original inspiration for 2D work.


Georgia O'Keeffe
This woman is marvelous and iconic to saw the most while saying the least. I discovered O'Keeffe when I was 14. Her body of work had taught me about perspective, color, and the inner message of imagery that art has.

 A.M. Cassandre
You can't say "graphic design" without the highly influential work of A.M. Cassandre.
Cassandre's motifs were simple and geometric which was a trademark of his time. Cassandre has influenced through his work by the use of imagery in relation to text, composing them as collaborative piece rather than individual pieces.


 Herb Lubalin
I loooooooooooove font and imagery. Herb Lubalin gives me inspiration on the combination of both. More inspiring is his use of nudity in some pieces. Using nudity as the basis of his magazine Avant Garde, landed Lubalin in jail for advertising nudity. 



Kanye West
Even though he isn't a fine artist, Kanye West is the reason why I have gotten through at least 70% of my pieces. Music is a big inspiration to an artist when working and when I'm working, Ye is with me! From signing with Roc-A-Fella when I was 12 to the College Dropout, Late Registration, the leak of Graduation and every featured song, this man has given me the lyrical influence I've needed to get through many pieces and deadlines over the years.

Last but CERTAINLY not least......
My Parents
My mother is pre-school teacher so she had so many things to use with me growing up. I went through so many of those sheets where you trace the letters that I think that's the reason why me detailing is so finely tuned. My dad was the artist before I took his spot :) Thanks for sitting me down and drawing all those cartoons characters with me every Saturday morning. Everything I get is going directly to them.

If you don't know, now you know....

No comments:

Post a Comment